The Great Outdoors.
Somerset is perfect for those who like to be outside, with several areas of outstanding countryside. Apart from those areas on the list below, the North Somerset Coast (Porlock, Minehead ...), the South Coast (Lyme Regis, Exmouth,.....) as well as Exmoor are all within 1 hours drive.
- The Blackdown Hills as viewed above from the water tower just behind our house, are an ideal area for walking, cycling and horse riding. A fit walker can reach the monument on the skyline by lane and footpath in about 1 hour.
- The Grand Western Canal, which starts about 3 miles from here, is also a great place to walk, cycle or watch the wildlife. You can even hire a boat or take a trip on a horse-drawn barge from TivertonCanal
- WimbleballLake (water-sports and cycling here too)
- The Quantock Hills
- The River Parrott Trail
- Walking in Somerset
Houses and Gardens
- Hestercombe Gardens
- Cothay Manor Gardens
- Gaulden Manor Gardens
- Fyne Court Gardens (National Trust)
- Killerton House and Gardens (National Trust)
- Knighthayes Court House and Gardens (National Trust)
- Barrington Court House and Gardens (National Trust)
- Dunster Castle Fine interiors and subtropical gardens (National Trust)
- Montacute House incorporating a National Portrait Gallery Exhibition and Gardens.
- Cleve Abbey (English Heritage)
- Wellington Park Grade II listed park
Other Tourist Attractions
- The West Somerset Railway One of Britain's best and longest heritage railways.
- Sheppy's Cider Orchard and Museum
- Cold Harbour Mill 200 hundred year old spinning mill with water and steam-driven machinery
- Cheddar Caves Underground activities (45 minutes)
- Fleet Air Arm Museum (45 minutes)
Cinema and Theatre.
- Wellesley Cinema and Theatre Our very own 400 seat period cinema.
- Wellington Arts Centre. Theatre, caberet etc
- The Odeon Cinema, Taunton. Multiscreen, adjacent to junction 25
- The Brewhouse Theatre, Taunton
- Golf. This selection of courses can be found within 15 miles. (Many others are within 30 miles). Oake Manor Pickeridge Vivary Park Tiverton Enmore.
- Cricket. Somerset County Cricket Ground.
- Horse Racing. Somerset is the home of some of the biggest National Hunt training yards Taunton Racecourse. Exeter Racecourse. Newton Abbott Racecourse.
- Riding. Heazle Riding Centre.(10 mins) Sheldon Riding Centre Phone 01823 681118 (20 mins) Quantock Trekking (30 mins) Various Exmoor Treks (45 mins +)
- Swimming, Badminton, Squash and Fitness classes at Wellington Sports Centre 01823 663010.
- Climbing and Caving. Indoor climbing wall Quay Climbing Centre at Exeter (40mins) or experience new challenges at Chudleigh Climbing Centre. (45 mins)